Primary Research - Tree Trunk Photography

As part of my primary research into the visual appearance of tree trunks for my book cover design, I went to a local park and took photographs of tree trunks.

I used my phone camera and tried to consider important photographic elements such as composition and lighting. I will use these photographs as reference when drawing the tree trunk base, I could also make a practice cover design using a photograph. I could add text to the photograph or edit the colour palette and lighting using Adobe Photoshop.





I found a tree trunk that had been carved into a bench. I like the textures created by the engraved wooden marks and the contrast between light and dark. I used these photographs as reference for a painting I created using the ink and bleach technique. I used the wet on wet watercolour technique to begin with to blend the brown tones together. I used the wet on dry technique on top to add some darker wooden marks. Bleach was added to highlight areas and create a contrast between light and dark. 

Ink and Bleach painting of a Tree trunk base 

I also took some photographs of full tree trunks to gain a better insight into the textured appearance of them as well as being able to observe them in their natural environment. 






I intend to take some rubbings of tree trunks to use as textured backgrounds in my material experimentation or possibly to use in the background of my book cover design.







Above are some photographs I took in the park that portray abstract tree trunk bases, surrounded by grass and leaves. I could create some collage with my photographs, I enjoy adding photographic elements to drawings as a way of experimenting with mixed media within an illustration. I could go on to take photographs of text I find in the natural environment such as signs to see the style of typography that is used.










Comments

Popular Posts